a Song List
Bandbro' utilizes a powerful and easy to use, text import mechanism. Access it from the Song Inventory notebook tab by selecting File-->Import from...-->Text from the main application menu.
Free Import Service
If you prefer, Rosette Software offers free, one-time import service. Just export your songlist spreadsheet or database to a .txt file using a tab, semi-colon ( ; or : ) or pipe | delimiter. Email to Rosettesoftware@gmail.com with the text file attached and BBimport as the subject line and Rosette Software will reply with your imported songlist attached. Usually you will hear back within an hour or two but at times, it may takes as long as 24 hours.
Text files can be generated and exported from most database and spreadsheet applications. Usually, this function is found under the file menu in the host program. They must be exported as delimited text files and preferably use the <Tab > delimiter.
Text Import Dialog
Step-wise instructions are on the dialog itself. See below for information on 'prepping' your text import file.
- Export as delimited text and select the delimiter used when you exported your data. The <TAB> delimiter type is recommended as it less likely to cause delimiter collision.
- Quotations and commas are not recommended for use as delimiters -- they are more prone to delimiter collision.
- If a song duration field is included in your field structure, it must be a single text field and utilize the standard minute/second time format: 00:00. If BandBro' is unable to parse this value as such, "00:00" will be used as a temporary value.
- Do not attempt to edit the resulting export file. Particularly one that's Tab delimited. While the exported text may look messy, attempts to edit and straighten the columns will render the file useless.
- The BandBro' import procedure supports up to 9 fields of data. However is not necessary to have that many fields in your text export. If your spreadsheet or database set list only has "TITLE","KEY" and "STYLE" fields, it can still be imported into the BandBro' song inventory. After which, you can edit the song records and add more info, as needed.
- The import file type must be a simple text file utilizing the .txt extension. Word file types such as .rtf, .doc, and .wpd are easily saved to text file by selecting File-->Save as... from the host application's menu.
- If you make a mistake, go to Utilities-->Purge song inventory to start fresh.
Importing a single column song list
If importing a single column song list containing only titles, try using the carriage return character: \r as the custom delimiter. That's a backslash succeeded by the letter r. Be sure to use a backslash, not a forward slash. Alternatively you can try \n, or simply \.
Getting more creative
If your song list incorporates a song title and song key separated by a hyphen, try using the hyphen ( - ) as the custom delimiter. Once the song data is parsed into the import dialog, be sure you move the "KEY" field label so it is directly above the song key column.